Friday, October 31, 2008

BOO!!

Happy Halloween! Every year the girls dorm has a big Trick or Treating night - this year they decided to do it the night before Halloween so it didn't compete with all of the other activities around town happening on Halloween. So - same as every year, Roy and his RA's dress up and go over to help. And, same as every year, I pitch a fit about Roy wanting me to dress up. And, same as every year, I end up having more fun dressing up than anybody!
Roy was a great sport about it! He refused to skip with me while singing "Off to see the Wizard", but we did have a great time! I think there were several times throughout the night that he wondered if he had lost his mind (no punn intended).

Bryce was Master Jedi, Obi Wan and Austin was "too old to dress up." At least he was too old until we told him that he is also "too old" to trick or treat - so he agreed to the tie that squirts water. They collected full buckets of candy as they went through the halls. After only an hour into the evening all of the girls had run out of candy to hand out - our boys as well as the girls dorm director's kids gave up their candy for the other kids coming... we were very proud of them!
I think Austin noticed the rest of us having a great time, so today when it came time for Bryce to get dressed for Halloween night Austin asked if he could wear dad's scarecrow costume.

So, our Halloween evening started at the Ranching Heritage Museum. They had a lot of activities and Trick or Treating for the kids. This older gentleman (I assume a volunteer) was just too cute to not take a photo of - obviously a child a heart, his face and hands were even painted green for the stem and vines of the pumpkin...
They had a great photo op stop set up...
Yes, that is Austin in the background.
I have never been to the Ranching Heritage Museum and there is so much to see... I decided it would be best to go sometime when the kids aren't chasing after candy. All of the people handing out candy were in old Pioneer attire.


Another site that added to the authenticy was the Texas sized Jack Rabbits hopping all around...
These children who just happened to be dressed as Pioneers were trying to sneak up on the Jack Rabbits. The girl is telling her brother to "shhhh". If you'll notice, he has one hand on his cap gun. I just couldn't resist a shot of it...
Following the Museum, we took a tour through Texas Tech's campus as that is the site of much action this week. If you haven't heard, #7 Texas Tech is playing #1 University of Texas tomorrow and the ESPN College Game Day will be broadcasting from Texas Tech's campus. Students have been camping out to ensure that they will get into the game since Monday. So, naturally, that little drive through was as exciting to the boys as all of the Trick or Treating. Roy and Austin will be at the game tomorrow - Bryce and I are more than happy to watch it on TV (or hear the highlights when they return).

Our final Halloween stop was the Trick or Treating at our church. With it came, of course, a ton of candy and another photo op...
We realized throughout the course of the past few days that our kids had never seen The Wizard of Oz - made us feel like we have missed a major parenting step - so, on the way home (well, not exactly if you know where our church and house are... but) we dropped by the video store to rent the Wizard of Oz. We are all piled on the bed watching it as I post.
I hope everyone had a safe, happy and fun Halloween!

No comments: