Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Day 7 in Porto

Don't worry, you didn't miss a blog yesterday... I did. You can tell I am starting to get more run down from living on Texas time in Portugal... it's just not working. Just wanted to let everyone know that the conference is off and running. I haven't really had anything to post because I have only had time for work the past couple of days. I stepped out of the hotel tonight to grab dinner for the first time since Sunday night.

Of note however, with the kick-off of the conference this evening we had a reception in conjunction with the Marketplace. At the reception, horsdevours were being served. One of the trays floating around was octopus... I tried it. It really wasn't too bad until I felt the suction cup thingy (I'm sure they have a scientific name) in my mouth... to remain civilized, I chewed and swallowed quite gracefully and decided to not try any other strange creatures. The marketplace itself is full of many very influential people within the fashion industry and we are having a good turnout. The main part of my job this week is working in the Marketplace doing live demos of our Farmer Visibility project. To explain - it is an online mapping system that will allow the entire supply chain to be visible by all. The supply chain consists of the farmer, gin, spinners, cut/sew operations, retailers, and consumers. With organic products it is important to know that you are buying a "truly organic" item. There are many falsified items on the market right now and selling for dirt cheap. Once complete, this process will allow everyone within the supply chain to map a product all the way back to the farmer and to be able to see the certifications as a guarantee of an items organic nature. The reason we call it Farmer Visibility is because we are starting at the farm level and will be adding the other members after the farmers are added (in the same way the cotton grows - starts at the farm). As Organic Exchange branches into other markets like wool, hemp, etc. in the future those products will also be included. It will result in you buying an item made of an organic fiber and the tag will have a code that you can enter on our website and will trace the item back through the supply chain to show you the organic processing it went through. My end of it will show you information as detailed as the farmers name who grew your shirt and how organic farming has enriched their families life. I am very excited about this project.

Tomorrow, is an incredibly full day. The day begins with a breakfast meeting at 7am and will end with a large group dinner at Taylor Port Wine Cellar. I am told it is the oldest Port Wine Cellar in the area. I am excited to learn a little more about the history if it when I get there. Porto is quite well known for its wine production... wine is offered at every meal including breakfast... it's really quite comical at times.

No comments: