Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 11 in Porto

As stated in my last post, I flat ran out of time last night to post both Friday and yesterday, so here is yesterdays posting.

Today we were able to sleep in a little later than usual. We went to the old part of Porto to a street knon as Via Santa Caterina. It is an older shopping district. At first the cab dropped us off on a side street (although we didn't realize it was a side street at the moment) at the entrance of a large underground mall. So, we thought that was the shopping everyone had been raving about. The mall appeared to have two levels from the outside. From the inside, it also has about 4 levels below ground. Inside the mall we found an H&M and a C&A, both European brand stores similar to JcPenney in the US. Both stores are members of Organic Exchange so we wanted to paruse the store to get a feel for it. In so doing we found organic cotton items (which are still somewhat difficult to find in the US) so we bought up while we were there. I have also fallen in love with a set of silverware in one of the restaurents here at the hotel. It is made in Portugal and I've thought how great it would be if I could take some home as my souvinere. Well, I passed a store in the mall that was all china and silver so I decided to just see. Sure enough it was there for mere 1,225,00 Euro (approximately $2,000) - I think I'll have to hold off on that one.

We worked our way from one end to the other only to discover an open entrance out onto the street. This street was Via Santa Caterina avenue. There were street cart venders, etc. Here is a picture with this beautiful ancient city in the background.

This man had this marrietta (whatever the word is) puppet dancing to music - I gave him a Euro. He also had a very cute dog to his left.



This was a group of guys that looked like what would be a college pledge group in the US - but not too sure. They were very entertaining - some would step out into the street and dance every now and then. I also go video of it, but alas - it would not load yet again. I will try again when I get home.



Porto is known for their tile - many buildings have tile fronts much like this one. There is a store somewhere but we haven't been able to find it just yet.

On the way home we were unable to find a cab - instead we stumbled upon an entrance to the subway - so... we saved several Euros by riding it and walking a few blocks rather than taking a cab (not to mention the years off of our life that we saved from the terror of cab driving).



This evening our Executive director treated all of the staff to a dinner cruise on the river. This was taken looking up the street from where the bus dropped us off. It was one block up from the river (only small cars could get further down the street).




This was right off of the river - had several restaurants and small shops.


Not sure what this is other than beautiful!



Here is a shot on the boat of four of us from the Texas office - from the left - Lee, Daren, Carrie and myself.

A few more from the Texas office - Terri, Heather, and myself.
Love to all!

No comments: