Sunday, October 19, 2008

12th and Final Day in Porto

Today we had our annual staff meeting (because it is the only time of year that we are all in the same room) which started at 8:30 this morning and ended around 3:30. Following the staff meeting, several of us headed out for one last time to explore the area of town that we had visited for the dinner cruise last night and that we hadn't spent any time in as of yet. We also wanted one last Portuguese dinner (just to say we did I guess - not sure now that I think about it). We ate at a cafe by the river. I had something that I can't pernounce. It was a sandwich with beef, sausage and ham with an egg on top and some kind of wine based sauce poured over the sandwich and the fries - I don't see myself missing the food too much after I leave.

We road the subway again - just much easier and cheaper than a cab.

Not long after coming up to street level we were crossing the street and I heard horns honking. As I looked in the direction of the honking I saw a tour bus hogging the intersection trying to turn. I had to take a photo to share with you so you could see that I am telling you the truth!
One of the things that I have enjoyed so much about Europe is the architechture. It is amazing and beautiful! There is so much detail and history in every building! Here are just a few photos from today.








Most shops were not open today due to it being Sunday - but a corner market had a window display of canned hotdog weiners... we thought it was photo worthy.
You know I couldn't pass up this opportunity! But if you know me really well, you know that we had out the hand sanitizer too!

I kept hearing "I can't believe they hang their laundry out like that" from my co-workers. I actually love it - it is like a painting - beautiful and shows the life of the city.
Well, that's it for now! Tomorrow I will begin my journey home. I leave Porto at 10:30 in the morning and head to Paris and then back to Houston and eventually will reach Lubbock at about 10:30 Lubbock time tomorrow night. All in all it will be about 18 hours of travel.
This has been a journey of a lifetime but certainly one I wish I could have shared with Roy. I don't know where the road will lead me in the future - the talk right now is either Lima, Peru or Cairo, Egypt around April/May. While I feel blessed to have had this opportunity to do such "once in a lifetime" travels, I look forward to being home for a while. And, hopefully, perhaps Roy will be able to join me on the next trip.
Thank you so much for your prayers to this point for my safety; I ask that you continue to remember me tomorrow.
I will post again once I arrive in Lubbock! Kiss, kiss (picture me giving you a European kiss - one on each cheek).










No comments: