Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Weekend in the Mountains

This past weekend we decided to get out of town and take a road trip (you know, since gas prices are so low). We went to the mountains of Ruidoso, NM to spend some time with Howard and Brenda. We had a wonderful time. The boys stayed in the house with Grandpa and Brenda and Roy and I stayed in their camper... it was like camping as a kid - it was a lot of fun.

The boys were spoiled rotten by Brenda - the first night we were there, we went to bed around 10:30... Brenda and the boys stayed up and dipped cookies into chocolate. Every day that we were there she planned some kind of a scavenger hunt for them... they really enjoyed it. Neither of the boys had the chance to get to know Roy's mom and the phenomenal Grandma that she was. Brenda is probably as close as it gets - thanks Brenda, we love you!

As this photo shows, this weekend was full of much needed relaxation for all of us!

And good cooking! This was after Grandpa grilled hamburgers and hot dogs... it was finger lickin' good - obviously... As an added treat to the weekend. We also got to spend a good bit of time with our friends from college, Layne and Andrea, and their two boys, Connor and Cade.

Like most baby's, Cade knows a Nana when he sees one. He felt right at home in Brenda's arms... I think she was quite taken with him as well.
This was opening weekend for the Flying J Chuckwagon. All of us went on Sunday night. The Flying J is owned by members of the church in Ruidoso (LCU alum as well). It was special for Bryce to see the lady that taught his "children's church" at church that morning singing on the stage that night. Here are a couple of posed pics we were able to get in while Roy was standing in line for our tickets.
I find myself comparing the Flying J to Bar D which is the Chuckwagon Supper Club located in Durango and the one I have gone to at least once a year for as long as I can remember (give or take a year or so). While Bar D still ranks high on my list of things to do every year... I think I've found a new favorite in the way of chuckwagons. In addition to the shops and such that I always enjoy (Bar D gets bonus points for the chocolate shop though ;-), Flying J also has a few kid friendly activities... like pistol shooting.

This one kinda reminded me of the movie "Shakiest Gun in the West" (a must see if you haven't).
He needed a little help...

Austin hit in or around the bulls eye with all three of his shots.

They also had horse rides...

They also did some panning for gold, but I didn't get any photos of that... I was too busy trying to keep everyone dry! It is just too tempting to give boys free reign at a trough full of muddy water and pans to dig in the mud with.

The whole "western" experience would not have been complete without an old western gun fight show just before dinner.


Here's the whole gang!... (well, except for one)
Bryce got to ring the dinner bell!

Cade found Nana - and the tin cup... what a great toy!
Cowboy Connor was enjoying the western show!

The weekend was finished off with a stay at the Inn of the Mountain Gods (compliments of Howard - thank you a million times over!). This enabled the boys to have some swim time. Roy and I got in with them... it was great fun. If you ever find yourself in Ruidoso you at least need to visit this hotel if you don't stay there. It is a four diamond hotel. It is ran by the Apache tribe and is, naturally, finished off in Native American decor... quite an at home feeling for me. This was the first time we had been to Ruidoso for a "get away"; it is hard to believe all of that is only 4 hours away. I'm already looking forward to the next visit. Of course, it wouldn't have been quite as enjoyable without the company of family and friends!

No comments: