This is the last week of school for the boys; of course this also means that technically school ended last week - this week is just for fun. At the first of the year Bryce's teacher sent home a request for us to send around $5 in change (I don't remember the specific amount); we were instructed exactly which denominations to include - this was to help with their math skills and money counting. So, today was the day to spend the money that has been burning holes in their pockets (or baggies) all year (can you imagine the nasty germs on that money?). They took a field trip to Dollar Tree! Bryce "wisely" spent his money on a "pretty" ring. When I commented on it being a tad girly looking he said "it's not pink, the rest of them were pink!". So - I'm sure from his perspective of looking at a group of rings, all are pink except for one... that is clearly the masculine one. But don't worry, that didn't take all of his money... he also bought a rubbery snake that grows in water.

The snake started out in the end of the slip 'n slide (hard to tell but it really is in water). I happened to walk past it on my way to the water hose... my heart skipped a few beats. Fortunately, Bryce was right behind me to tell me it was fake... it was very difficult to act controlled and un-alarmed. Anyway, when we got home from the baseball game it had already expanded to where its tail was out of the water so Bryce wanted to move it to a larger body of water. He asked about the bath tub, but knowing my fear of snakes I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go into the bathroom by myself with it in there (yes, it's that bad). Not to mention what would happen when my alarm went off tomorrow morning and I, being half asleep, walk into the bathroom and fling open the shower curtain to start the shower - don't even want to think about that! So - he agreed to move it to the grass where a puddle of water is standing from the recent rains and the drippy water hose. Now, let's just hope I don't forget it's there or that the maintenance men don't need anything from around our back yard tomorrow; I would hate to be responsible for giving someone a heart attack (I also don't want Bryce to come home and find his rubber snake chopped to bits). It may mysteriously disappear, however - this tends to happen with rubber snakes around our house (wink, wink).
As I mentioned a moment ago, Austin had a ballgame tonight. It was 101 degrees when the game started. He started out playing short stop.

Here is his fan club! (The guy in the back was determined to get into the photo - it was okay because he cheers for Austin too).

He got on base every time he was up to bat (by actually hitting, not being walked). Two of his hits brought home runners.

Then they moved him to catching. He is the best catcher on the team (yes, I'm probably a little partial).


This is what Bryce does during games. He at one point found a dead fox in the field and gave all of the other younger siblings tours to see the dead fox. He goes rock hunting and foul ball hunting most of the time (if you find a foul ball and return it to the concession stand you get a free snow cone).

Today he was catching drips from the air conditioner on the side of the concession stand.
Following the game, we ventured to Academy to purchase much needed shoes for Austin. His tennis shoes no longer have covering over the toe. As we were leaving Academy and headed home I was looking at the moon and thinking to myself how amazing and beautiful it is... so I wanted to share that too.

As we are not always with our loved ones and with Roy being gone right now... I am reminded of the song lyrics... "we are sleeping underneath the same big sky". It doesn't feel quite so lonesome to think that all of you are looking up at the same moon.
Update on Roy's adventure: The Lady Chap softball team won both of their games today and remain undefeated thus far. They play one game tomorrow, if they win they will play for the national championship on Wednesday. If they don't win, they will play Wednesday morning for a chance to play for the championship on Wednesday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment