Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Tribute to My Momma

Mother's Day, as we all know, is a day to treat your Momma's to lunch and show her how much you appreciate all she does for you. Well, my Mom couldn't be here today (nor I there). So, Mom, instead of an overpriced meal in a chatter filled restaruant - this is my gift to you.

When I think of you, I think of love and friendship. You have always been more than my Mother, you have always been my dearest friend. Whether my days are good or bad, you are the one I want to share the news with. You are always honest with me, but always loving about it. You are always supportive, but willing to tell me when you think I might be making a mistake.
Most importantly, you taught me how to be a mother. On days like today when my husband and children are treating me like royalty, I look back on my "mothering" and I don't see where I measure up to your teachings and I'm certainly not deserving of the "royal treatment." But, Thank You.

Thank you for the example you have been to me.

You have shown me how to be forgiving when life doesn't treat me right.

You have shown me how to open my arms and welcome new people into my life. I already dread the days my boys get married since they have already told me I can't pick their wives :-(. I will always remember how loving and kind you have been to Roy and Nessa - to my knowledge they have never been treated like an "in-law", only like one of your children.

You have shown me how to be content with where I am.

You have shown me how to find the beauty in everything around me that others can't see or simply don't look for. I've never seen you not enjoy a sunset. I've also never seen you walk past a pile of rocks without bending down to pick up one that is prettier than all the rest... the rest of us just saw a pile of rocks. I'll never forget the yard sale you went to and you came back with one old shoe. You saw beauty in that one old shoe and you found a way to decorate with it that allowed others to see the beauty in it as well (sorry for harrassing you so hard about that :-), it really was a beautiful shoe!) And, thank you for sharing this gift with my children as well.

I could go on and on, but this is already an awful lot of words to simply say, Thank you and I love you! I think Nathan and I lucked out getting you for a mom. I'm jealous that he is so much closer and gets to see you more than I do, but it does make me cherish our phone calls and our visits when they are possible.

I love you and I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

No comments: