Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all of the men in my life! And believe me... there are a good many and I am exceedingly thankful for each of them. Some of them were blessed when I was born into their family (did you catch the way I worded that? he, he), one is by choice and all of the others are part of the package deal with the chosen one.

First and by far the most import Father's Day wish goes out to my own father (aka Daddy and Super-Man). My daddy is one of the most honest, kind-hearted, hard working guys anyone can ever hope to meet. I have never been able to find anything that he can't do (hence the super-man). My poor husband, for the first couple years of marriage all he ever heard was "my dad could do that"... It's amazing he still likes my dad (or me for that matter). Dad, Thank you for getting up with me in the middle of the night so often to find the boogie man (or at least appear to be looking) and for letting me sleep in yours and moms room when I didn't believe there wasn't one. Thank you for clearing all of the furniture out of my room to find a daddy long legs. (I'm beginning to think I was a chicken.) Thank you for being at Beale's every night when I got off work to make sure I got out ok even though I had a car and begged you not to... to this day when I've had a miserable day at work I would give my right arm to see your truck sitting outside waiting to see me safely home. Happy Father's Day - I love you dearly and always will!

Next on my list of important men and certainly no less important is my Grandad. When I think of Great Men - he would be among the top ranks. The first descriptive words that come to mind are quiet, wise, and patient. He doesn't always say a lot, but I learned a long time ago to listen attentively when he does. Grandad, I had a unique experience getting to grow up so close to you although I fear I took the close proximity for granted and didn't always appreciate the amount of time I spent with you and Granny. Thank you for all of the fishing trips, I never had your patience for it but now that I have boys I am grateful that I know how to do that with them (I need you to go with us next time though so you can bait the hook like you did for me... yuck!) I don't know if you remember this or not, but in Dad's note above I mentioned him being at Beale's when I got off work - I remember one time he was out of town and I was so excited to leave work on my own and as I exited the building I saw your tan Ford Ranger sitting outside... thank you for loving me enough to do that. Happy Father's Day - I love you!

The other man that I was blessed by being born after was my older brother, Nathan. There's not enough space on the www to say all of the things that come to mind when I think of you so I'll tell you one of my favorite memories. One night, mom and dad were going through a phase of thinking if they left me in bed that it would break my fear (maybe I was a chicken...). So, after they went to bed I was tip toeing down the hall (scared to death as best I recall) and you opened your door and had made a pallet on your floor for me to sleep in your room. That was probably the only time that I saw how kind hearted you were until we became adults :-). I have seen it over and over in the past few years with your children and others as well. I am proud of the man you have become. Happy Father's Day - I love you!

To the one that I chose - God must have really been watching over me then. Roy, I always thought that my Daddy spoiled me, but you don't let a day go by without making me feel like the Queen of the universe. But, I love that you treat your children the same way. Not a day goes by without you doing something special for them or with them. When you were out of town a few weeks ago I was tucking Bryce into bed and he said "will you please tell me good night like Dad does?" (Which is a routine of butterfly kisses, Eskimo kisses and bear hugs for those who don't know.) It made me realize how special they think you are and how much they appreciate the little things you do as well. I will forever be thankful that you are my children's father and I look forward to the years (way into the future) that we share going through Grand parenthood as well. Happy Father's Day - I love you always!

In addition the blessing of a wonderful husband when I got married, I also gained 4 brother-in-laws, a father-in-law, and a grand-father-in-law. Paw, Howard, Trace, Donnie, Joey and Cliff - Thank you for the role models that you have been and are to Roy, to your own children and to mine. Happy Father's Day - I love you all!

No comments: