In preparation for the wedding, Jenny called a few weeks ago and asked if Bryce would be in the wedding. She wanted him to ring a bell in memory of the bride and grooms’ grand-parents that didn’t live long enough to share in the joy of this day. Bryce was chosen because he is the youngest grand-child on the Worley side and, as it so happens, the only grand-child that Joy never got to meet. He was, of course, honored and thrilled to get to do this for Jenny. The selling point was by far the tuxedo. He could hardly wait to wear it (certainly doesn’t get that from my side of the family… I’m not sure we could get a Nicholson in a tuxedo without sedating them first). The only problem came in when he got a haircut. For several weeks he had wanted his head shaved. Roy and I finally gave in, partly because we didn’t care if it was shaved or not and partly because it needed to be cut and it was cheaper to shave it (or free rather). So about two weeks ago, we shaved his head. He was happy as a clam with that haircut until Austin said “I wonder what you will look like in a tuxedo with a bald head?” The wedding had never entered any of our minds when preparing the clippers. Naturally, Bryce broke into tears “Jenny will be so mad – I’ll look silly…” and so on and so on… I kept assuring him Jenny wouldn’t care – not to worry about it – it has two weeks to grow out. Of course, Jenny didn’t care and just like me she thought he looked adorable. If anything, it made him look more like a “little boy”.
In our absent minded departure from Lubbock, I managed to forget the camera. But, here is a photo of him using Roy’s phone. I’m sure we’ll have the opportunity to purchase some that the professional photographer took too.
As I said before, it was a beautiful occasion - not only aesthetically, but also beautiful from the perspective of witnessing the union of two people who deserve the very best and found that in each other. We wish them a happy and healthy future together.
Following the wedding, we were able to spend time with family that we don't get to see very often and enjoyed every minute of it! We missed those who were unable to be there and hope to see everyone again soon.
Upon arriving home late Sunday afternoon, I discovered my beautiful sunflowers that had begun blooming last week had grown even more while we were away. They are SO pretty!! Here are a couple of photos that I took today. They put a smile on my face everytime I look at them, maybe they will yours too...
This photo was actually taken last week the day after it bloomed. The Sunflowers are "skyscraper sunflowers" - they are currently over six feet tall and are supposed to reach around 12 feet.
This is the same bloom as above - but the bloom is bigger than before. While Roy was unloading the car, I was hawling the ladder outside to take a picture of it next to my head so you can see how big it is. Only - I just now realized, it also shows how big my head is... perhaps I should have used a prop... oh well - live and learn.
c.jpg)
c.jpg)
Okay - for you experienced gardners... what in the world is going on here?
This was a full, beautiful bloom when I left town. Did someone get hungry?? Perhaps they misunderstood that you harvest the seeds to eat after the flower is dried up... don't eat the flower silly!! I read online that birds become a problem with sunflowers, but I assumed it meant the seeds. The seeds aren't even developed yet... is this what they meant? I would hate to have to put rubber snakes in my garden - they would sure cause me to hurt myself!
In addition to sunflowers, my garden also has green beans, cucumbers, corn, and tomatoes (all organically grown). I have harvested quite a few green beans and cucumbers. Corn will soon be ready and just today I noticed a pea size tomatoe starting to grow. I planted this garden rather half mindedly (basically whatever seed packets I found on sale)... after planting the cucumbers and broccoli (which didn't survive the 100+ degree days) I wondered "why did I do that?" I am the only person in my household that would eat them. The broccoli took care of itself - the cucumbers on the other hand are breeding like rabbits! Everytime I go dig through the leaves there is another one about 8-inches long and ready to be picked. I don't know the first thing about pickling... so that really narrows down my options of what to do with these things. I've looked up recipes and have found cucumber lemonaid and cucumber soup. Needless to say, I've turned to my cucumber loving friends... they'll be outfitted in cucumbers for the next several weeks for sure. Never having planted something like before, I had no idea how it would grow. It outgrew the two rows I planted in and now covers about 7 rows and has grown over some peppers I planted (also never came in - probably because the cucumbers are hogging the sun). They have grabby vines that wind around anything it can grab and is growing up the corn stalk on one side and the sunflowers on the opposite side all while producing cucumbers in mid-air. It keeps trying to grab ahold of my tomatoes but it weights them down so I keep having to seperate them... it reminds me of my children! I would ground it, but I guess it already is grounded - ha, ha! On the up-side, the cucumbers taste great. If you come see us don't be surprised if we have grilled cucumber sandwiches :).
No comments:
Post a Comment