For years now, our boys have wanted a pet and Roy and I have continued to say "no, we can't have pets in the dorm". The main reason behind this, is because we want to live by the same rules that we expect our residents to live by (and because we are not suppose to have "normal pets" like dogs and cats). Well, every couple of years since we have worked here, the girls dorm has received a new dorm family. And, with each new dorm family has come pets of some sort for their kids resulting in our kids saying "they have pets, how come we can't have pets?" The current "girls dorm kids" have a Python and a Gerbal (NOT in the same cage just in case you are wondering how that is working out). So, as you've probably guessed by now, I've caved into the peer pressure. I offered fish... no, they wanted something they could take out and play with - I figured fish wouldn't take very kindly to that kind of lovin'. Reptiles and rodents were obvious NO's. So I began researching Guinea Pigs... you know... not quite so mousey looking. Low and behold, I discover that there is ongoing research as to their relation to the African Guinea Hog (hence their naming because of resemblance). So, in does my mind good to think of them as pigs rather than ro..., rode... (you know the "r" word that mice are often referred to). So, at the pet store the helpful lady is loading us up on all of the pertenant items and continues calling them the "r" word and I finally said, "you are going to have to stop calling them that if you want me to actually leave this store with them - let's call them pigs".
So, here they are. They are adjusting quite well. They are very gentle (you know, once you catch the little boogers) and the boys are enjoying them. They named them themselves too!
Austin's is Squeaker.
Bryce's is Rockstar.
Truth be known, Rockstar is the only one we have heard a peep out of... I guess we should have gotten to know them before nameing them.
We were just going to get one, but after researching them I discovered they are herd animals and do much better in pairs. To keep from having a heard, we carefully picked our girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment